Racked is no longer publishing. Thank you to everyone who read our work over the years. The archives will remain available here; for new stories, head over to Vox.com, where our staff is covering consumer culture for The Goods by Vox. You can also see what we’re up to by signing up here.
Welcome back to Editor's Essentials, a new Wednesday feature in which editors from around the Racked network discuss their all-time best buys. Today we're sharing our favorite basics—nope, not the endearing Starbucks-swilling sorority pal who "literally almost died" over Oprah Chai—think essential tees, tanks, and long-sleeve cotton tops. These are the sturdy standbys you'll find us pairing with our go-to jeans, favorite leggings, and slipping into more dressed-up looks.
To narrow it down, we omitted the brands you likely have in your drawers now (honorable mentions to the Gap, H&M, American Apparel, and Old Navy's $10 'Tami' style), in hopes of unearthing your new fave. The best cuts for petites, brands for saving and splurging, plus sheerness-ratings, after the jump.
- Image via Everlane
- Jenny Berg, Racked Chicago editor: I love the featherlight feel of Club Monaco’s 'Sunny Tees' ($39.50). The lighter hues are
- Julie Davis, Racked Philadelphia editor: J.Crew's linen tees are my go-to. They embody everythin
- Natalie Alcala, Racked Los Angeles editor: For cheap basics, I reach for Brandy Melville's one-size-fits-all options. Their cuts are perfect for p
- Caitlin Petreycik, Racked New York features writer: I've had good luck with Everlane's tees. They're $15, the sleeves are a non-awkward length, an
- Izzy Ginspan, Racked editorial director: I'm a fan of Alternative Apparel's 'Favorite' t-shirt ($38). It's really
- Kristen Philipkoski, Racked San Francisco editor: I’m in love with with Marine Layer’s V-neck cotton and recycled beech wood
- Susan Stapleton, Racked Vegas editor: I'm a huge fan of the
- Anna Caplan, Racked Dallas editor: I'm a big fan of Splendid t-shirts and tanks. They are super-soft and flattering; mu
- Alison Baitz, Racked DC contributor: I'm always struck by how insanely soft Vince's
- Natalie Alcala, Racked Los Angeles editor: Two years ago, I visited the LA factory of a new basics label
- Ashley Brozic, Racked Miami editor: I'm a huge fan of Madewell's slub v-neck pocket tee ($25). The cotton is quality
- Jackie Goldstein, director of operations: I discovered the soft, flexible, perfect Cosabella tank top ($76.50) at the ripe age of 14 and I have never looked bac
- Tiffany Yannetta, Racked New York editor: I got this Alice + Oliva tee shirt as a